SRK in SF (Part 1)

It was a crisp sunny morning in San Francisco when I heard on radio that SRK was arriving in town. I was driving to work, trying to focus on the road and confirmed this news from my personal resources (i.e. Google). And there it was in all it's glory - Mr. Shah Rukh Khan was being honored at the San Francisco Film Festival in April. I felt a sudden urge of thrill and desire to meet the man who defined and epitomized love in my world. Needless to say, I bought the tickets immediately before all my fellow desi SRK nerds hogged them. I was competitive, insecure, driven and passionate like NEVER before. 

My desire grew so deep that I started a countdown on Facebook, reminiscing about his earlier movies and songs e.g. "Na jaane mere dil ko" and "tu mere saamne". My friends were vicariously living through my posts and some felt I was losing my mind. I also knew I was losing control of my rational self but that was OK as I wanted to dream and romanticize - I wanted to BELIEVE that I was going to meet him. It was a fucking golden opportunity. It was surreal and the lines between real and reel were disappearing.

However, I wondered what would I say to him if I met him - what was the one thing??!?! Honestly, I didn't have a clue. Saying something such as "you're magical" felt cliched. But from the bottom of my heart, I really just wanted to give him a big hug and let his magic rub on me. Some people in this world are special - filled with gifted powers, wisdom and luck, and I hoped for some of it to touch me (pun intended) in some way. Therefore, I decided I would ask a question toward the end of event (during Q&A) and ask shamelessly for a hug.

After a whole lot of anticipation and standing in line for 2 hours, he arrived at the Castro Theater, looking dapper in a black formal suit and his usual confident self. I think my emotions choked up for a few seconds before I yelled at the top of my lungs - "SHAH RUKH", " SHAH RUKH"!!! I cried, laughed and screamed to see him in front of me - it was ecstasy without any pot in Castro. 




The event started and I had to pinch myself to realize he was talking and performing on stage. He was humble, sweet and considerate; talked about his love for cinema, compassion for acid attack victims and impact of films on society. Mr. Brett Ratner probably felt mesmerized by SRK's stardom and fan following as we were a rowdy crowd. He also performed a dialogue from his movie (Raees) and danced to Lungi dance. 




After an hour, he left and so did I. While I did not get a chance to ask for a hug, I felt euphoric to have seen him live. I got into Uber to go home but impulsively changed my mind - instead I went to the Fairmont Hotel guessing he was staying there based on a social media pic he posted, but I wasn't a 100% sure - it was a shot in the dark. The Uber driver didn't know SRK but sincerely wished I met him. 


On arrival, I didn't see any car or action at the hotel and felt terribly disappointed, heading straight to the bar for a much needed drink. With my Brut, I sat in the lobby and hovered for hopeful signs - but none showed. After I finished my drink, I was exhausted and decided to go home - my rational mind was begging me to stop the madness and become "real". But I was leaving, I saw a tall guy who was with SRK earlier - perhaps his body guard in casual wear. My silly hope and the thrill returned - and I started to walk toward the body guard - knowing he may report me to the security any time. But there was no time to be rational and think anymore. I was high on SRK (and a little champagne by now). 


Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

SRK in SF (Part 2)

India

Nani

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *