Karvachauth Ki Konversations


11:00am: 
After the next day of karva chauth’s discussion with mummy ji, Meera decided to meet her friends from college for lunch. They were a group of five friends and all of them lived with their husbands’ families in South Delhi. Meera's friends were her support system at every beck and call. They shared everything from Sex and the City jokes to new hotspots in Delhi.
Her hangouts were not only a way to vent sasural-related anxieties, but also to demonstrate the latest in fashion, jewelry and handbags - the best of Chanel, Gucci and Dior came out on these occasions. Meera got a kick out of the competition, it was about prestige, image and silly superiority complexes – everyone trying to prove they were better than others when it came to fashion. 
1:30pm: 
The first one to arrive at Oberoi was Meera, waiting for rest of them and hating to be the first one. Shortly afterwards, her friends started to pour in - Preeti, Esha, Sonali and Nidhi. 
As they settled in, there was something different about this lunch. Meera noticed there was another woman looming around Nidhi, who hadn’t said a word until now. With a bit of curiosity, Meera started the conversation.
-       Meera: “I don’t think we’ve met before. Hi, I am Meera” extending her hand.
-       Nidhi: “Oh I am sorry, I should have told you guys that I was coming with my cousin. Everyone, this is Riya. She is my masi’s daughter”
-       A seemingly shy Riya: “I am sorry to intrude into you lunch – I was visiting Nidhi and decided to join her for lunch...I hope you guys don’t mind :)”
-       Preeti: “Not at all Riya. We’re very glad you came. Nice to meet you”
While everyone was exchanging polite gentries, Meera couldn’t help but notice the difference in Riya’s look with everyone else. She was wearing a plain cotton kurta, a pair of torn jeans and chappals. And no jewelry or make up. Secretly, Meera enjoyed her own flamboyance, assured how trendy she looked in comparison to Riya and others.
After a few moments, Meera shared her karva chauth story with everyone.
-       Meera: “You know, I feel really confused about this karva chauth thing. I am not sure if I understand the logic. It’s SOOO unnecessary. Why…..why……whyyyy do we have to keep it?”
-       Nidhi: “I totally agree, it’s such a tedious task every year....but what can we do yaar. Sab bura maan jaayenge if we didn’t keep it. Mere ghar mein toh toofaan aa jaayega...TOOFAAN." 
-       Esha: “I swear yaar. But issi bahaane gift mil jaata hai har saal…it’s the only time my saas gives me anything. I can't let it go”
-       Sonali: “Exactly…and my pati remains happy too, he feels obliged to pamper me for ONE day. I kind of enjoy it. It’s like an emotional atyachaar on him…hahaha”
As they tried to rationalize karva chauth, Riya interrupted the conversation.  
-       Riya: “If you don’t mind my asking, Meera – what is your concern with karva chauth?”
-       Meera: “Hmmm, my only concern is that I think it’s sexist at a fundamental level. Don’t get me wrong, I love my husband very much and I’m happy to keep the fast for him….but why women only? Like there should be a day when all men have to fast for their wives….I hate to sound feminist….but I don’t think love can be measured with your ability to fast or not.”
-       Riya: “So why do you keep it?”
-       Meera: “So that Akshays’ parents are happy and they don’t think I’m not traditional enough. They can turn around and complain to Akshay that I’m not following rituals and family traditions. And I want Akshay to be on my side”
Meera surprised herself with her strong point of view on the subject. After pin drop silence, Riya said:
-       “You know, it’s not my place to say as I am not married. But, I am a tour guide in Delhi and meet all kinds of people every day. In a nutshell, there are two kinds of people – those who speak up when they have questions during the tour and those who remain quiet because they’re afraid of being judged.”

-       She continued: “How will anyone know you have a voice if you don’t speak up. What’s the worst that can happen? Really - what's the worst?
Everyone was really surprised and envious with Riya's defiant confidence. Who would have thought? She seemed so shy and out of place... 
-      Esha: "Hmmm that's true, Riya. But you know....I don’t really mind it – it’s best to keep the fast and stay quiet. It’s a win-win for everybody....instead of creating a feminist movement in your home. My husband even hates the 'F' word.”

While the conversation moved on over lunch, it forced Meera to think about what Riya had said....what was the worst that could happen if she told Akshay and mummy ji? Really, what was the worst case scenario? What would they say or do?


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

SRK in SF (Part 2)

India

Nani

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *