Growing up with Grandparents


On Friday, January 26th – it’s Republic Day, a day to celebrate our Independence and watch the parade near Rashtrapati Bhavan. But for me and my family, it’s also a day to celebrate wedding anniversary of my Nana Nani – my maternal grandparents.


My childhood and teenage years include many memories with them, as I was raised by them after the age of 11. My mom, brother and I moved in with them after my mom’s separation.
For those who’ve lived with grandparents would agree that it requires a different mindset and set of habits than living with parents only. Due to a large generational gap, you can’t share everything with them like you can with your parents – they’re emotionally distant from you in that sense. But, they bring so much warmth and unconditional love in your life, borne from their age and lesser need to control compared to your parents.
My Nani, Kamla Devi was a Guru Nanak devotee and visited the Nanak Piao Gurudwara every day to serve and pray. It was her morning ritual to take the rickshaw and spend a couple of hours at the gurudwara. She was a fearless independent woman who refused to take the car/driver as much as possible. She enjoyed being by herself.
At the Gurudwara after her prayers, she’d always ask for extra prasaad for me and my brother, knowing how much we both loved it. I waited every day to go back home from school in order to gobble it all up. I still go back there for the prasaad when I visit home.   
There are million such stories of unconditional love to cherish.
My Nana, Roshan Lal Gidwani was an avid Bollywood lover, but often he’d pretend not to be. However, when Katrina Kaif or Deepika Padukone would appear on TV – he’d pull himself closer to television and watch them perform with admiration. And then when my brother and I would tease him, he’d deny the notion smilingly. Sometimes he’d admit to liking them -- JUST a tiny tad bit. It was adorable.
Between both of them, they symbolized extreme dedication and hard work for us. My nana passed away when he was 81 – but he worked until the very end a couple of days before he was admitted to the hospital. His business, his sweet shop in Chandni Chowk was his dream and passion, a huge part of his life and who he was. His eyes would light up every time he talked about his work, how mithai was made and the ‘secret’ ingredients that made it work. The thought of full-time retirement irritated him immensely.  
While we had help at home, my Nani enjoyed cooking and taking care of her home by herself. She enjoyed the control that came with it. With old age, her dedication and spirit only became stronger. She passed away when she was 72, but her will to keep going was a shining example in the hospital for everyone to witness.
On January 26th every year, our entire family and extended families went for picnic to celebrate their companionship. It was the favorite day of year for everybody. Amidst cake, warm desi food, many laughs, Tambola and Cricket, it was them at the center of all celebration and their shadow on us that made it special.


   
On this day after 10 years of our last picnic, I want to remember them, cherish them and raise a toast to them with all my existence. Because I, along with everyone in my family, exist today the way we are because of them. Because of their perseverance, devotion, sincerity and the spirit to keep going. I am where I am today because a 74-year old man and his wife decided to invest their life savings into my education – the same man and woman who didn’t believe in higher education at some point in their lives.
Here’s to them and their unconditional love! Happy anniversary, Nana Nani!





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

India

Nani

SRK in SF (Part 2)

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *